The WHO Chinese National Influenza Center in Beijing has released HA, NA, PB1, NP, and MP sequences from the fatal H5N1 case (39M) in Shenzhen City, Guangdong Province in China (A/Guangdong-Shenzhen/1/2011).
The HA sequences has several receptor binding domain changes, including S227R, which had been reported previously in wild (RBD)d birds in Hokkaido and Fukushima, Japan raising transmission concerns, as seen in S227N in Hong Kong and Turkey.
(Snip) the sequence has Q196K, which has been reported in vaccine resistant H5N1 in Egypt. Q196R has been reported in an H5N1 cluster in Iraq. These RBD chnages are in addition to V223I and M230I seen in prior clade 126.96.36.199 isolates from wild birds as well as 2010 H5N1 cases in Hubei, A/Hubei/1/2010, and Hong Kong, A/Hong Kong/6841/2010. H5N1 also has D225G, which targets the lung.
(Snip) although the sequence is clade 188.8.131.52, the HA cleavage site has acquired an R to yield IERRRKR.
These changes raise serious transmission issues. Release of the PB2 sequence and status of position 627 would be useful.
• Bird flu possibly wiped out Chukha poultry farm
• Culling underway in affected poultry farms
• Swine flu virus (H3N2v) may be spreading between people
• Nova Scotia on outlook for new swine flu
• Hong Kong Keeps Ban on Some Poultry Imports Due to Avian Flu Tie
• China attempts to allay fears of bird flu epidemic
• Hong Kong Urges Bird-Flu Vigilance
• Hong Kong finds H5N1 virus in dead gulls
• Cited fear of bird flu fever treatment, rose two percent
• Chinese State Media Deny Poultry Slaughter Due to Bird Flu
• WHO confirms human H5N1 case
• WHO confirms human H5N1 case (fatal)
• Vets step up surveillance for bird flu
• India free from bird flu: Government
• Bird flu panic in Tripura
• Travel Warning for China After Bird Flu Death
• More flu deaths reported: CDC
• First bird flu outbreak contained in Hau Giang
• Vietnam culls over 2,500 chickens in bird flu fight
• New Flu Strain (H3N2v) Puts Pork Industry on Alert After 2009 Pandemic
• US: HHS orders novel H3N2 vaccine for clinical trials
• CA: State, area health officials stay on guard against viruses
• NE: Flu death reported in Nebraska
• ‘Just-in-time’ business models put UK at greater risk in event of disasters, warns thinktank
• CIDRAP: Study – Steroids did not improve survival in severely ill H1N1 patients
• Swine flu (H3N2v) outbreak sends vaccine-maker’s stock soaring
• Viruses and Viral Diseases: Vaccine Against New Swine Flu Strain Being Developed
• Animal-Related Diseases Concern Scientists
• Recombinomics: HA Changes In Fatal H5N1 Case In Shenzhen Raise Concerns
• Controversial bird flu studies raise complex problem, defy easy solutions: WHO
• Recombinomics: Shenzhen H5N1 P198S Is In Clade 2.2 Escape Mutant
• Recombinomics: Flu-Like Illness In 23 Contacts of West Virginia H3N2v Cluster
• Recombinomics: Pediatric H3N2v Case In Napa County California
• Recombinomics: West Virginia H3N2v Cluster N2 Recombination
• Recombinomics: US HHS Contracts for H3N2v Vaccine Clinical Trials