The number of flu cases in Singapore has gone higher than the epidemic levels first seen in January. In the week after Lunar New Year, the number of patients seeking treatment for flu at polyclinics was 21,204 – the highest since the start of the year. That’s 15 per cent more than when the epidemic threshold was first crossed in the second week of January, with more than 18,377 cases.
The Health Ministry said most people with flu recover with rest and treatment.
• 8,600 chickens culled in Rajshahi (Link)
• Georgia records seventeenth fatality since early year (Link)
• Swine flu reported in Kurdistan (Link)
• Japan confirms another bird flu outbreak, 67,000 chickens to be culled (Link)
• Bird flu confirmed at Mie farm; 67,000 chickens set to be culled (Link)
• IL: Flu Outbreak Shuts Down South Loop Federal Jail (Link)
• U.S. Flu Season Picking Up, CDC Reports (Link)
• AZ: Children’s hospitals add staff as flu attacks (Link)
• DE: Delaware Reports First Influenza Death Of Season (Link)
• MN: Flu is officially ‘widespread’ around Minnesota (Link)
• NC: Three More Flu Related Deaths Recorded In North Carolina (Link)
• H5N1 outbreaks in birds in Lang Son (Link)
• H5N1 outbreak in birds in Kon Tum (Link)
• PLoS: Pandemics in the Age of Twitter: Content Analysis of Tweets during the 2009 H1N1 Outbreak (Link)