(This is just my way of thinking folks, but I take this as mjor news and should be taken very seriously.-cottontop)
MONDAY, Feb. 22 (HealthDay News) — Research in mice suggests the avian flu virus and the ordinary seasonal flu virus could combine to create a new deadly kind of flu, (Snip)
A single bit of genetic material from the seasonal virus converted the avian flu –officially known as H5N1 — into a very dangerous form, the scientists report in a study published in the Feb. 22-26 online edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. “Some hybrids between H5N1 virus and seasonal influenza viruses were more pathogenic than the original H5N1 viruses. That is worrisome,” study senior author Yoshihiro Kawaoka, a virologist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, said in a news release.
The researchers warn that swine flu — H1N1 — could also play a role in viral combinations.
(Snip) the reality is that H5N1 avian virus is still out there,” Kawaoka said. “Our data suggests that it is possible there may be reassortment between H5N1 and pandemic H1N1 that can create a more pathogenic H5N1 virus.”
• Gambia is Prepared for Swine Flu’ Says Health Official (Link)
• Ghana: Outbreak of new strain of cerebrospinal meningitis: 17 killed (Link)
• Uganda: Meningitis outbreak hits West Nile (Link)
• Epidemiologists Explore Dynamics of Mexico’s H1N1 Pandemic (Link)
• H5N1 in birds (Link)
• Unknown intestinal infection in poultry workers (Link)
• Taipei: low-path H5N2 among poultry (Link)
• Swine Flu May Have Infected 63 Million Americans, Study Finds (Link)
• Recombinomics: WHO H1N1 Vaccine Target Selection Failure (Link)
• ProMED: Influenza Pandemic (H1N1) (18): WHO Update (Link)