Recombinomics Commentary 17:45
January 27, 2010Doctors at Le Bonheur Children’s Medical Center are on high alert tonight after a spike in the number of children with flu-like symptoms. Right now, they believe all cases to be the novel H1N1 swine flu virus.
“Over the past 3 weeks or so, we’ve had about 17 or 18 admissions to Le Bonheur with confirmed influenza. I should say that we believe all or almost all of these will prove to be the novel H1N1 influenza virus.”
Infectious disease doctors believe its the only virus circulating in significant amounts in the community right now.
“I think 7 of the 17 or 18 have been admitted to the ICU. So that’s a bit of a shift of what we saw before.”
The above comments describe an increase in sever H1N1 cases in children in Tennessee. The Children’s Medical Center (see map) had seen high numbers of patients in the fall, which led to the use of tents to cover the overload. The current spike is well below earlier levels, but the frequency of cases admitted to the ICU is higher.
• Canada donates 5 million doses of excess H1N1 vaccine to WHO redistribution effort (Link)
• Hong Kong to stockpile unwanted swine-flu vacccine (Link)
• Bulletin on H1N1 (2009) (translated) (Link)
• Bird flu spreads to more areas in West Bengal (Link)
• The Intellectual Property Fight That Could Kill Millions (Link)
• One in six patients examined in Poltava region diagnosed A/H1N1 influenza (Link)
• Woman with swine flu dies in Northern Ireland (Link)
• Influenza and H1N1 Bad for Your Heart (Link)
• H1N1 vaccination debate still a hot issue for parents, babysitters (Link)
• Stirling Products has high hopes for ImmunoXel clinical trial to treat flu (Link)
• WHO: Avian influenza – situation in Egypt – update 27 (Link)
• FDA Approves Beech Tree Labs’ Influenza IND Application (Link)
• Recombinomics: D225G In First 2010 H1N1 Sequence (Link)
• Recombinomics: Fujian H5N1 In Israel? (Link)
• Recombinomics: H1N1 Fatality Rate in Memphis Children Raises Concerns (Link)
• Recombinomics: D225G/N In Fatal H1N1 in Chernihiv Ukraine (Link)