As of 27 Dec 2009, worldwide more than 208 countries and overseas
territories or communities have reported laboratory confirmed cases
of pandemic influenza H1N1 2009, including at least 12 220 deaths.
WHO is actively monitoring the progress of the pandemic through
frequent consultations with the WHO Regional Offices and member
states and through monitoring of multiple sources of data.
The most active areas of pandemic influenza transmission currently
are in central and eastern Europe. Focal increases in rates of
ILI/ARI [influenza-like illness/acute respiratory tract infection]
during recent weeks were reported in at least 3 eastern European
countries, Georgia, Montenegro, and Ukraine.
A high intensity of respiratory diseases activity with concurrent
circulation of pandemic influenza persists in parts of southern and
eastern Europe, particularly in Greece, Poland, Bulgaria, Serbia,
Ukraine, and the Urals Region of the Russian Federation.
• Swine flu: 5 new deaths, 746 cases confirmed in Algeria (Link)
• Riau: 4yo suspected of bird flu (Link)
• 54 more H1N1 flu cases and five deaths over past 24 hrs (Link)
• ‘Healthy’ girl, 15, died from series of heart attacks after being sent home from hospital with ‘flu’ (Link)
• Scotland: Swine flu cases increase by 15% (Link)
• 28th swine flu death in Wales (Link)
• IL: Illinois reports 4 new deaths from swine flu (Link)