In the Ukraine, a strain of the flu has infected 1.4 million people. The death toll, according to the Ukraine Health Ministry, is at 315 people as of November 16, 2009. The World Bank Database gives the estimated population for the Ukraine as a little over 46 million. While the percentages do not appear high, the reported symptoms and contagion patterns of this flu are of concern to some doctors. The virus is being tested at the Medical Research Council laboratories, in Britain.
Symptoms of the Ukrainian flu
“We don’t believe it’s H1N1 swine flu. Neither do we know what kind of pneumonia it is,” states Ukrainian emergency physician Myron Borysevych. The Daily Mail states that doctors are likening this strain of the flu to the Spanish flu, which included internal hemorrhage and edema in the lungs.
World Health Organization Comments about Ukrainian flu
Last week, the World Health Organization team working in the Ukraine stated that there would be a second wave of the epidemic. This prediction appears to be coming true. The Ukraine Health Ministry reports 16 new deaths in the past day alone.
Testing of the Ukraine flu virus is underway
Samples of the Ukraine flu virus were provided to a British lab, for testing to conclusively subtype the virus. Learning whether the virus is a mutated form of the H1N1 swine flu, or an entirely new type of flu virus, will help health officials and members of the public take necessary measures for protection from this deadly disease.
• Azerbaijan starts vaccination against swine flu early December (Link)
• Eye opening Canada flu stats from crofs blog (Link)
• Quebec investigates 2 nurses who took doses of H1N1 vaxx home for family (Link)
• British Columbia confirms 5 deaths since Nov. 10, & 144 ‘severe’ cases (Link)
• Beijing offers residents free A/H1N1 flu vaccinations (Link)
• Climate conference vaccinations get priority (Link)
Duchy of Normandy
• Channel Islands-Schools hit by flu-like illnesses (Link)
• Measures to fight H1N1 swine flu in Europe (Link)
• Santa promises swine flu won’t cancel Christmas (Link)
• 4 new deaths confirmed Tuesday (530 total) and 176 new cases (Link)
• Jamaica confirms 6th death (Link)
• Anti-virals available without prescription (Link)
• West Bank: 5 H1N1 deaths (Link)
• 96th death a 6 yr old son of hospital administratino worker in Torrevieja (Link)
• ND: N. Dakota reports ‘unusual’ flu season thus far (Link)
• OR: 3 more influenza deaths announced today (Link)
• PA: Pittsburgh infant died of suspect H1N1 (Link)
• PA: Six more fatalities have been added to the PA DOH website as of 11/17/09 (Link)
• RI: Rhode Island confirms 2 more deaths from H1N1 (Link)
• Swine flu: ‘previous infection could offer some immunity’ (Link)
• CDC Estimates 22 million sick from flu first 6 months of pandemic; Guidance for People At Risk(Link)
• Not just swine flu – new cold virus may lurk, too (Link)