Posted on: Saturday, 14 November 2009, 06:45 CST
The worst may be behind us for swine flu outbreaks, according to new reports from the World Health Organization on Friday.
The global death toll is slowing, although 6,250 people have died since the onset of the pandemic, AFP accounted.
In the week of November 8, the number of deaths from A(H1N1) increased about 179, while there were 224 a week prior and a significant leap of about 700 in the last week of October.
The pandemic has affected 206 countries or territories globally, the WHO stated on its website.
The influenza season marked signs of peaking in North America, but Europe and Central and Eastern Asia show signs the pandemic is intensifying, the UN health agency said.
“Very intense and increasing influenza activity continues to be reported in Mongolia with a severe impact on the health care system,” it added.
However, the WHO investigated the sudden surge in flu cases in the Ukraine and discovered no indications that the swine flu virus was becoming stronger.
• Man with severe swine flu defies the odds (Link)
• 3rd A/H1N1 death (Link)
• First A/H1N1 flu fatal case reported in Finnish capital (Link)
• Iran: MP says H1N1 cases ‘higher than those claimed’, 16 students hospitalized (Link)
• A/H1N1 death toll rises to 45 (Link)
• Kosovo: confirmation of 1st death and 22 cases of H1N1 (Link)
• Latvia reports first swine flu death (Link)
• Flu deaths increase rapidly in Mexico (Link)
• Three little pigs in Mindanao (Link)
• Poland Confirms Its 1st Death From H1N1 Flu Virus (Link)
• 2 more deaths confirmed in Catalonia (Link)
• confirmation of 13 cases of H1N1, 4 new cases
• Death toll of A/H1N1 flu rises to 60 in Turkey (Link)
• Fragile Care Worsened Swine Flu in Ukraine (Link)
• FDA Panel to Consider New Flu Vaccine Technology (Link)
• California H1N1 death rates by county (Link)
• IA: H1N1 flu’s strength, speed stun mourners (Link)
• IL: 7 yr. old dies in Rockford; 3rd death in Winnebago County (Link)
• IN: H1N1 kills 2 in La Porte County (Link)
• KS: KDHE announces additional death of Kansan infected with H1N1 (Link)
• OR: H1N1 flu claims second local [Yamhill Co.] victim (Link)
• PA: Geisinger confirms 2nd H1N1 Death in a Week (Link)
• ME: Two more deaths in Maine (Link)
• FL: 3 yr old girl died of H1N1 (Link)
• H (Link)
• Novartis receives approval in Switzerland for Celtura (Link)
• CSL Limited’s H1N1 influenza vaccine approved for infants (Link)
• H1N1: Mechanical Ventilation For Patients With Lung Damage Don’t Always Work As Planned (Link)
• Studies show obesity may increase risk for swine flu (Link)