Update: more death, illness
Yesterday at 14:10 | (Wire reports) Ukraine’s Health Ministry on Nov. 5 said the death toll of patients with flu-related and acute respiratory illnesses (ARI) had jumped to 95.
Deputy Health Minister Zinoviy Mytnik said told journalists during a press briefing that a total of 633, 877 cases of flu-related and ARI have been registered from Oct. 29 through Nov. 5.
Mytnik said 15 of 31 patient samples sent to London for laboratory analysis tested positive for the H1N1, or swine flu, virus.
Meanwhile, over 600 medical workers in Kyiv have fallen sick with the flue and acute respiratory illnesses, according to Kyiv deputy Mayor Iryna Kilchitskaya, who on Nov. 5 told a daily Kyiv newspaper that 200 of the afflicted are doctors.
In a related story, Ihor Pokanevych, head of the WHO office in Kyiv, told Deutsche Welle on Nov. 5 that in Ukraine, as in the rest of the world, there will be three waves of the swine flu virus: the first – which Ukraine is experiencing now, the second – in the spring, and the third – during the autumn of 2010.
Pokanevych noted that the current pandemic is complicated to sort out because it involves three strains of flu virus: two seasonal strains [of the Brisbane] flu and the swine flu, which as a result could lead the virus to mutate into a still more virulent, new virus.
• Swine flu cases confirmed in Khmelnytsky region (Link)
• Nine children, seven pregnant women and six doctors among dead (Link)
• Martial Law [may be] declared in Ukraine over mystery epidemic (Link)
• Fears that countries would hoard vaccine in pandemics behind single supplier (Link)
• 100 health workers repeat H1N1 shot (Link)
• Alberta confirms 4 more deaths, total now 18 (Link)
• 115 deaths so far, top doctor warns of more, severe cases tripled in 1 week (Link)
• China: HK investigating another human case of influenza A/H9 (Link)
• Some ICU patients (translated) (Link)
• Pune has 100th victim (Link)
• 11 confirmed cases (Link)
• H5N1 in a bird in Moscow (Link)
• 3 new deaths yesterday, total of 45 now (Link)
• 4 new deaths confirmed, 19 total now (Link)
• England Weekly pandemic flu media update (Link)
• Underlying conditions in 373 hospitalised cases (Link)
• Healthy schoolchildren may be inoculated against swine flu (Link)
• Northern Ireland: Two further NI swine flu deaths (Link)
• Ireland: Four more deaths from swine flu (Link)
• Video: Wall Street Gets H1N1 Vaccine Before High Risk Citizens (Link)
• Banks Getting H1N1 Doses Before Many High-Risk Groups (Link)
• AK: Fairbanks woman dies from swine flu in October (Link)
• CA: H1N1 More Serious In CA. Than Originally Thought (Link)
• IA: Cat Gets Swine Flu; First Reported Case In A Feline (Link)
• IL: H1N1 claims life in Peoria (Link)
• IN: Indiana confirms 9 more deaths in past week bringing total to 19 (Link)
• KY: 2 new deaths confirmed in Kentucky ‘overnight’, total now 17 (Link)
• NC: 3 hospital workers didn’t take flu shot, resign (Link)
• NY: Large NYC employers getting swine flu vaccine (Link)
• OR: Up another 68 hospitalizations and 3 deaths today (Link)
• PA: Susquehanna Schools Charging for Swine Flu Vaccine (Link)
• VA: Virginia confirms 4 more deaths, now totaling 21 (Link)
• WI: 1st death confirmed in Kenosha, 16th in Wisconsin (Link)
• WV: local doctor says she’s had H1N1 TWICE now (Link)