CBS News Exclusive: Study Of State Results Finds H1N1 Not As Prevalent As Feared
By Sharyl Attkisson
CBS) If you’ve been diagnosed “probable” or “presumed” 2009 H1N1 or “swine flu” in recent months, you may be surprised to know this: odds are you didn’t have H1N1 flu.
In fact, you probably didn’t have flu at all. That’s according to state-by-state test results obtained in a three-month-long CBS News investigation.
The ramifications of this finding are important. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Britain’s National Health Service, once you have H1N1 flu, you’re immune from future outbreaks of the same virus. Those who think they’ve had H1N1 flu — but haven’t — might mistakenly presume they’re immune. As a result, they might skip taking a vaccine that could help them, and expose themselves to others with H1N1 flu under the mistaken belief they won’t catch it. Parents might not keep sick children home from school, mistakenly believing they’ve already had H1N1 flu.
Why the uncertainty about who has and who hasn’t had H1N1 flu?
• Canada: another BC school district sees H1N1 cases for first time (Link)
• Ivory Coast: H5N1-infected birds reported.
Avian Influenza (54): Cote D’ivore (Africa) Wild Birds (Link)
• Croatian minister of defence has heart attack (Link)
• Death toll reaches 415, 2 confirmed, one more suspect death in Delhi (Link)
• 11 confirmed H1N1-affected soldiers in J-K, 2 more today (Link)
• Seven swine flu deaths take India’s toll to 427 (Link)
• Japan Confirms First Case of Swine Flu in Pigs at Osaka Farm (Link)
• Serbia confirms first H1N1 flu death (Link)
• Bird flu: farms quarantined (Link)
• 25th death reported (Link)
• US: Napolitano: More H1N1 vaccines coming (Link)
• US: FDA launches website for reporting suspected fraudulent H1N1 (Swine) flu products (Link)
• US: Homeland Security Hearing on Panflu Today (Link)
• US: Tests show flu spreads from schools(Link)
• US: AFA Physicians: H1N1 May Live Longer Than Expected (Link)
• US: CDC says it’s difficult to predict future of any ‘form’ of flu (Link)
• CA: 1st grader’s death from H1N1 in Vacaville still not certain (Link)
• CO: Colorado reports 6 more deaths from flu (Link)
• IL: 2nd Naperville patient has died of H1N1-related causes (Link)
• MN: nurse-managed phone lines will provide new ways to get meds (Link)
• OK: Ardmore-area parents think student who died was H1N1-related (Link)
• OR: Oregon Congressman Walden likely sidelined by swine flu (Link)
• TN: An EMT ‘miraculously’ survived H1N1, and he had no health insurance (Link)
• TX: ranks at the bottom for obtaining vaxx for her people (Link)
• TX: Health dept. says 14yr-old had underlying condition; family disagrees (Link)
• TX: Seasonal Flu Shots Are Getting Scarce (Link)
• WA: 1st baby death confirmed in Washington (Link)