GENEVA — The World Health Organisation said Tuesday that four people in China had reportedly suffered mild “adverse” effects after being vaccinated against swine flu.
WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl told journalists that such occurrences among a sample of 39,000 people vaccinated were expected and must not put people off being immunised against A(H1N1) swine flu.
“In the case of China we are seeing reports — we do not have first hand confirmation yet — that out of 39,000 people vaccinated apparently four people have had adverse events,” he said.
“Those adverse events have all been mild, if I’m not mistaken things like muscle cramps and headaches,” he added.
“Adverse events are fully to be expected, especially these mild types,” he underlined ahead of forthcoming mass swine flu vaccination campaigns in the United States and in Europe.
The vaccines approved so far had been used in seasonal formulation for years and have been among the safest vaccines known to exist, Hartl explained.
“The most important tool we have to fight this pandemic is the vaccine,” he added, insisting on its importance for health workers.
• Pregnant woman dies of swine flu in Cambodia (Link)
• Health care workers dropped from Manitoba’s seasonal flu vaccine list (Link)
• China reports 1st swine flu death (Link)
• Largest cluster yet closes girls school for one week (Link)
• Pandemic influenza A/H1N1 update (Link)
• Swine flu kills ‘fit and healthy’ woman (Link)
• Swine flu has killed 10 in North West (Link)
• The young and healthy – data from Guardian news (Link)
• Nurse confidence in swine flu vaccine falling (Link)
• Cold remedy study seeks recruits (Link)
• UK: Scottish school, Linlithgow Academy has 300 kids absent (Link)
United States of America
• Analyses of flu pandemics project savings from earlier vaccinations (Link)
• NYT: America Takes On Swine Flu (Link)
• First Swine Flu Vaccinations _ but Most Must Wait (Link)
• Workers without paid sick time have additional worries during flu season (Link)
• FL: Florida now counts its 102nd death (Link)
• GA: H1N1 vaccine arrives in Hall County- First doses go to children ages 2-4 (Link)
• IN: another death in Indiana from flu, of course it 99.9% likely H1N1 (Link)
• IN: Indiana University flu cases up ‘significantly’ (Link)
• IN: South Bend suffers the loss of an 11 yr old girl (Link)
• MO: First swine flu vaccine arrives in St. Louis (Link)
• NY: Beaver River Central School 279 students out Mon (Link)
• TX: H1N1 vaccine trickling in to South Texas (Link)
• TX: H1N1 Vaccines Coming to Houston Soon (Link)
• TX: Public won’t get Dallas County’s 1st swine flu vaccine shipment (Link)
• TX: 3 More with Swine Flu Die (Link)
• WA: Seattle – Nurses file lawsuit over mandatory flu vaccine (Link)
• WI: 9th death confirmed, 1st this autumn (Link)
• WV: West Virginia has some hotspots (Link)