Recombinomics Commentary 22:43
October 29, 2009
New York Gov. David Paterson has declared a state of emergency because of the rise in swine flu cases.
The executive order means that far more health care professionals – including dentists – will be permitted to administer vaccines with only brief training. The order is needed to suspend provisions of state law.
New York officials said the number of vaccine doses is also being increased. The federal government is ramping up availability of the vaccine, allowing the state to order twice as many doses as a week ago, a trend that’s expected to continue.
The above comments describe the declaration of a state of emergency in New York, which follows President Barack Obama’s declaration for the entire country. Although these announcements are said to be anticipatory and an attempt to streamline treatment, evidence is mounting that these steps are in response to a rapidly accelerating spread of H1N1, leading to school closings, hospitalizations, and deaths, which are straining the health care system.
Nationally, the declaration is designed to reduce red tape associated with treatment and to increase drugs under regulatory review, such as Premavir, which is currently in clinical trials as an IV treatment for influenza. However, like Tamiflu, H274Y seriously reduces the effectiveness of the drug, increasing concerns that widespread H274Y will seriously impact antiviral treatment, leading to more hospitalizations and deaths.
• H1N1 vaccine flow will slow over next 2 weeks (Link)
• Egypt reports 4th death of A/H1N1 (Link)
• Germany reports 2 more deaths, 1st in healthy person w/ no health issues (Link)
• Pune reports 3 more children’s deaths (Link)
• Switzerland restricts use of GSK swine flu vaccine (Link)
• Swine flu fears on rise after numerous deaths (Link)
• Ukraine reports 30 swine flu deaths (Link)
• Ukraine closes all schools, cinemas over swine flu (Link)
• Highest epidemic of swine flu in Ukraine! (Link)
• Swine flu epidemic starts in Ukraine – health minister (Link)
• WHO says it’s sending team to Ukraine to probe reports of serious H1N1 activity (Link)
• CDC gives new swine flu numbers for the U.S. (Link)
• US: at least 19 more children died from H1N1 last week in the USA (Link)
• AZ: another death counted in Arizona, 1st in Greenlee County (Link)
• IN: Indiana confirms another death from H1N1 (Link)
• IN: death of 22 yr old pregnant woman in Indiana from H1N1 (Link)
• KY: 14th death confirmed in Kentucky, woman in her 30s (Link)
• MI: 2 more deaths in Michigan (Link)
• OH: First grader gets swine flu shot without parents consent (Link)
• OR: A Quarter of Sprague HS out sick; sports cancelled (Link)
• OR: Armed robber to Keizer bartender: daughter has swine flu, need money (Link)
• OR: Umatilla County has 3rd death confirmed, man in 30s (Link)
• OR: Eugene H1N1 restrictions expanded (Link)
• WA: Seattle area swine flu outbreak greater than spring, vaccine still in short supply (Link)
• Statin drugs may lower deaths from flu: study (Link)
• Swine flu cheaters getting vaccinated (Link)
• WHO: Swine flu deaths jump by 700 in a week (Link)
• Side effects not always due to swine flu shot (Link)
• Recombinomics: H1N1 in Swine in Iceland Raises Pandemic Concerns (Link)