By Jo Macfarlane
Last updated at 11:05 PM on 15th August 2009
A warning that the new swine flu jab is linked to a deadly nerve disease has been sent by the Government to senior neurologists in a confidential letter.
The letter from the Health Protection Agency, the official body that oversees public health, has been leaked to The Mail on Sunday, leading to demands to know why the information has not been given to the public before the vaccination of millions of people, including children, begins.
It tells the neurologists that they must be alert for an increase in a brain disorder called Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS), which could be triggered by the vaccine.
GBS attacks the lining of the nerves, causing paralysis and inability to breathe, and can be fatal.
The letter, sent to about 600 neurologists on July 29, is the first sign that there is concern at the highest levels that the vaccine itself could cause serious complications.
It refers to the use of a similar swine flu vaccine in the United States in 1976 when:
• Fifth person with swine flu dies in NT (Link)
• Hong Kong reports new Tamiflu-resistant swine flu case (Link)
Democratic Republic of Congo
• First swine flu case (Link)
• Head of Security in ICU with H1N1 (Link)
• Cruise ship quarantined (Link)
• Swine goes north (Link)
• A(H1N1) toll in Bangalore rises to four (Link)
• National swine flu toll mounts to 27 (Link)
• Indian IT industry on alert to prevent swine flu fallout (Link)
• Medical student tests postive for H1N1, flees hospital (Link)
• Bangalore reports 5th Swine Flu Death (Link)
• New H1N1 guidelines categorise patients (Link)
• 3 more deaths (Link)
• S. Africa Deaths up to 6 (Link)
• S. Korea confirms 76 more flu cases after fatalities (Link)
• NC: Flu outbreak won’t always shut down schools (Link)
• KY: Swine Flu Goes To School (Link)
• FL: Sick teammates at Island Coast told to go home (Link)
• GA: School acts to fight flu (Link)
• AK: H1N1 flu remains active in Southeast Alaska (Link)
• SD: Pennington County continues to lead the state with H1N1 cases (Link)
• CA: Sacremento says “middle road” to flu vaccine (Link)
• FL: Rockledge Teen Dies Of H1N1 Virus (Link)
• CT: Gov. Rell announces free flu vaccinations (Link)
• Sebelius on swine flu: ‘We’re preparing for the worst’ (Link)