Fridat, July 31, 2009
By Barbara ListonORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) – Wal-Mart Stores Inc is discussing with U.S. health officials the possibility of putting vaccination sites at some of its stores for an H1N1 swine flu inoculation campaign this fall, a company official said on Thursday.
Federal officials met with Wal-Mart executives on Wednesday in Arkansas to discuss the issue, Dr. John Agwunobi, president of health and wellness for Wal-Mart U.S., told public health leaders at a conference in Orlando.
“We are in discussions with CDC (U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and others in local and state departments to see what role we might play,” Agwunobi said. “It might be we are a site. It may be help with logistics and with supply chain.”
Agwunobi said 140 million people walk through the doors of its 4,000 U.S. stores each week.
U.S. health advisers have said about half the U.S. population should be vaccinated against H1N1 influenza. Up to 160 million doses of flu vaccine will be available for the start of the campaign in mid-October.
The H1N1 swine flu, characterized by mild symptoms in most patients, is now so widespread that the World Health Organization has stopped counting cases.
Speaking at the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO) annual conference, Agwunobi also said Wal-Mart is planning to be a site this fall for seasonal flu vaccinations, administered by a third-party, at stores in most parts of the country.
(Editing by Jim Loney and Tim Dobbyn)
• Swazi records first swine flu cases (Link)
• Nobody has contracted the H1N1 virus in Armenia (Link)
• Airlines can’t ban suspected swine-flu sufferers from flying (Link)
• Kiss warning issued for rock festival due to flu (Link)
• British girl fights for life in Greece (Link)
• India’s swine flu cases-tally is now 509 (Link)
• 20 Israelis seriously ill with swine flu (Link)
• First Confirmed Swine Flu Cases Cause Panic in Kazakh Cities (Link)
• Six Schools, Teaching Institute Closed Today (Link)
Northern Mariana Islands
• Over 20 presumed with swine flu (Link)
• Thirty five people confirmed with swine flu in Russia (Link)
• Taiwan reports first death from swine flu (Link)
• Watchdog delays UK debut of Astra swine flu treatment (Link)
• England – Swine Flu Incidence Slowing (Link)
• UK – Weekly pandemic flu update (Link)
• West Midlands – Swine flu continues to spread across the region (Link)
• Scottish swine flu total jumps by 4,000 in a week (Link)
• Swine flu infects six, but health board stops counting (Link)
• Colorado woman dies from swine flu (Link)
• Trying To Get Ready & 4 New Deaths (Link)
• NC: More Swine Flu in Henderson County (Link)
• SC: 4 swine flu cases reported in tri-county (Link)
• FL: As many as 63 airmen suspected of having the virus (Link)
• Will Safety Fears Hurt Swine Flu Vaccinations? (Link)
• Total of 31 swine flu deaths in Florida (Link)
• NC: 3-month-old tests positive for swine flu (Link)
• Summer camp flu cases may predict fall surge (Link)
• OH: H1N1 at Children’s Hospital (Link)
• CA: Fresno County First H1N1 Flu Death (Link)
• NV: Clark County swine flu death toll reaches five (Link)
• KY: Swine flu hits Tri-County (Link)
• CA: Inmate’s illness has Solano jail on swine flu alert (Link)
• FL: H1N1 Found in Pinellas County Jail (Link)
• Flu Vaccine Plan in U.S. May Shortchange Nations, Lancet Says (Link)