The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs is calling on the provincial and federal governments to declare a state of emergency on Manitoba First Nations.
“With the H1N1 virus spreading rapidly through the communities and supplies taking nearly a month to be delivered, the First Nations people are at too much risk for this situation to continue any longer,” says AMC Grand Chief Ron Evans. “We’ve had enough.”
Aboriginal communities are believed to have been hit harder by the virus because of poor living conditions and higher instances of chronic diseases.
More than two-thirds of the 31 patients in Manitoba who were placed on a respirator due to H1N1 were aboriginal.
Recently, it was revealed shipments of hand sanitizers to northern Manitoba First Nations were delayed because of concerns about sending large quantities of alcohol-based products to dry reserves.
• Third Australian swine flu death (Link)
• Swine flu claims life of 35 year old man (Link)
• Pandemic Usurps Seasonal Bugs as Aussie Doctors Test Nose Swabs (Link)
• Australia exports swine flu to region (Indonesia) (Link)
• Ont. confirms another death associated with swine flu; national total at 21 (Link)
• Indians’ swine flu hand sanitizer delayed (Link)
• Eastern Ontario reports two deaths linked to H1N1 (Link)
• Manitoba First Nations declare swine flu state of emergency (Link)
• Iraq confirms first cases of H1N1 flu virus (Link)
• 1st flu death reported in RP (Link)
• Swine flu assessment bays launched (Link)
• Update on swine flu cases 24 June 2009 (306 New 3254 Confirmed) (Link)
• Swine flu plan for Scottish firms (Link)
• Swine flu prompts curb on sharing Communion wine (Link)
• US company makes first batch of swine flu vaccine (Link)
• Flu hits, and a family must decide how to react (Link)
• FL: First swine-flu death in Central Florida confirmed (Link)
• NC: Guilford man first in state to die after contracting swine flu (Link) and (Link)
• New 2009-H1N1 Influenza Virus Poses Potential Threat to U.S. Forces (Link)
• Utah Records Two Additional Swine Flu Deaths (Link)
• Six more test positive for swine flu in Vineland (New Jersey) (Link)
• FL: Officials: Pregnant Woman Dies Of Swine Flu (Link)
• Utah Health dept web update – important cat two pandemic(Link)
• Texas – El Paso county swine flu death (Link)
• Underlying medical conditions, CDC press conference, June 18 (Link)
• Avian flu reoccurs in northern province of Vietnam (Link)