BUENOS AIRES (AFP) — The swine flu deaths of two people in Argentina and a mutation of the H1N1 virus detected in Brazil have added to fears that South America is entering a harsh winter beset by the flu pandemic.
While big pharmaceutical firms are ramping up efforts to mass-produce a vaccine for H1N1, they are still months away from having enough stocks — too late for the Southern Hemisphere’s winter flu season.
South America has already recorded five deaths from the disease: two in Chile, one in Colombia last week and, most recently, those of a three-month-old girl and a 28-year-old man with leukemia in Argentina’s capital Buenos Aires.
The number of infected cases is outstripping figures put out regularly by the World Health Organization.
According to the latest statistics Tuesday Chile’s confirmed number of patients with H1N1 flu soared by several hundred from 2,355 to 3,125.
Other national health authorities also registered increases with Argentina reporting 733, Peru with 113, Brazil 69, Ecuador 84, Venezuela 44, Uruguay 36, Paraguay 25 and Suriname 13.
Those figures are far overshadowed by the data from North America, the apparent source of the pandemic.
2. Not so fast on ‘new’ brazilian strain
3. Flu kills four more Canadians, toll 11
4. Expectant Mothers At Increased Risk Of Swine Flu Complications
5. Fifth case of swine flu forces closure of Burnaby, B.C., elementary school
6. St. Maarten registers first case of H1N1 flu
7. Chile reports 3rd swine flu death
8. Chilean man dies from A/H1N1 flu
9. China says it is keeping a close eye on mutant flu virus
10. China sets out new quarantine regulations for flu
11. Finland confirms 12th A/H1N1 flu case
12. Swine flu tally rises to 31 in India
13. First two H1N1 cases confirmed in Jordan
14. High fever afflicts three Tanahun VDCs
15. Space crunch ails hospital
16. Influenza A (H1N1) Swine Flu – Update Seventy-eight
17. State of calamity in flu-hit Nueva Ecija town
18. Over 300 In Philippines Tested Positive For A/H1N1 Flu
19. Qatar identifies 3rd H1N1 flu case in Iraqi teenager
20. S Korea’s A/H1N1 flu cases rise to 70
21. Sri Lanka Health Ministry issues severe warning on Swine Flu
22. 95 new influenza A cases confirmed
23. Scotland ready for worst-case scenario (Link)
24. Flu emergency plan may force museums and pools to close (Link)
25. UK – Swine flu: when do we move from containment to mitigation? (Link)
26. Scotland, Tamiflu policy changes (Link)
27. Update on confirmed swine flu cases 17 June 2009 (110 New 1582 Confirmed) (Link)
28. Birmingham: City ‘cannot contain swine flu’ (Link)
29. Swine flu diagnosis doubts prompt tests rethink (Link)
30. Is lack of vitamin D linked to swine flu? (Link)
Miracle Man Survives Deadly Virus With New Surgical Procedure (Link)
• CDC Director’s Update Brief June 9th (Link)
• FDA says Zicam nasal spray can cause loss of smell (Link)
• Two more deaths bring Utah’s H1N1 death toll to 8 (Link)
• US hunt for novel flu reveals persistence of seasonal strains (Link)
• Illinois officials report 3 more swine flu deaths (Link)
• 4th death in Wisconsin (Link)
• WI: Teen who died of flu identified (Link)
• NJ: Somerset County teen second with swine flu to die in NJ (Link)
• WI: Updated: Marathon County child dies of H1N1 flu (Link)
• AZ: Swine flu making a comeback in Arizona (Link)
• RI: Teenage Girl in Kent County First State Swine Flu Death (Link)
• 33 babies in NC NICU possibly exposed to swine flu (Link)
• Pa. woman dies of swine flu at NY hospital (Link)
• Yemen Announces First Confirmed Case Of Flu A/H1N1 (Link)
South America bears winter brunt of H1N1 pandemic (Link)
• Brazil finds variant in A/H1N1 (Link)
• New H1N1 virus mutation found, what it means (Link)
• Measures to reduce the impact of influenza pandemics in Europe- Risk, benefit and cost evaluation of different mitigation/intervention strategies (Link)