June 11, 2009 12:46am
FIVE people with swine flu have been placed in intensive care in Victoria and residents at three nursing homes are being tested for the potentially deadly virus.
A Department of Human Services (DHS) spokesman told The Age he could not say how old the five patients were or whether they had an underlying health condition that may have given them complications when they were infected with the virus.
“What the underlying causes of their illness is, I don’t know They are certainly not well and need to be managed in ICU,” he said.
“In one case, the person is in hospital because of trauma, so the H1N1 is unrelated.”
In a written statement, Victoria’s acting chief health officer, Dr Rosemary Lester, said health authorities were working with three nursing homes where a number of residents have reported flu-like symptoms.
“As is the usual practice in such instances, symptomatic residents have been isolated and movement of residents and staff has been restricted,” the statement said.
“Action being taken also includes the restrictions of visitors to the facility until the cases have resolved. Nose and throat swabs have been taken from the symptomatic cases for testing at VIDRL (Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory).”
The DHS spokesman would not name the homes or where the five intensive care patients were being treated.
Australia’s National Pandemic Emergency Committee will meet on Friday.
The DHS spokesman said the vast majority of the 1011 Victorians with swine flu had experienced mild symptoms.
2. Flu cases at city schools continue to climb
3. Nunavut’s swine flu count jumps to 53
4. Nova Scotia reports first hospitalized case of swine flu
5. Nunavut disputes WHO’s concerns about swine flu spike
6. Flu among aboriginals is worrisome
7. Hong Kong reports first domestic human H1N1 flu case
8. 25 Bird- Flu Suspected Cases
9. Swine flu fear grips Egypt, quarantine on university hostel extended
10. Two more cases of A/H1N1 flu confirmed in Egypt
11. 73 confirmed cases
(this article is not translated)
12. A/H1N1 flu cases rise to 77 in Philippines
13. Swine-lineage Influenza A H1N1 09/06/2009
14. Update on confirmed swine flu cases 10 June 2009
15. New UK swine flu testing algorythm
16. UK swine flu cases approach 800
17. MIA may be a quarantine site for flights if a pandemic hits
18. CDC Interim guidance for use of 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine during novel influenza A (H1N1) outbreak
19. El Paso TX Health Department Reports Three Swine Flu Deaths
20. Flu policy apparent motive in NY school attack
21. Jefferson County N.Y: 5 new H1N1 cases
22. 3 more die of swine flu in NYC, toll up to 12
23. HCM City confirms three more super flu cases
24. WHO alert system ‘needs’ repair