A 44-year-old Toronto man has become the second person in Canada to die of swine flu, health officials said Monday, as the latest figures showed 805 cases nationwide.
The victim, with a “chronic pre-existing medical condition,” passed away on May 23, said Ontario’s acting chief medical officer David Williams.
The following day, laboratory testing confirmed he had contracted the H1N1 virus. It is, however, not clear what role the virus played in the fatality, said Williams. A woman in Alberta became the first person in Canada to succumb to the disease last month.