MANAMA: Bahrain registered its first swine flu case yesterday after retesting a 21-year-old Bahraini who was cleared of the viral infection a day earlier. “The patient is being kept in isolation at the quarantine ward of SMC (Salmaniya Medical Complex),” a Health Ministry spokesperson said last night. An official, who did not want to be named, said the patient had been studying in the United States.

On Sunday, the man was transferred from a private hospital to SMC after he showed flu-like symptoms. It was then that he was given the initial test, which the Health Ministry reported came out negative for the A/H1N1 virus. Yesterday, health authorities decided to double-check the results. The man’s family was also being checked last night. The patient is being monitored and treated with anti-flu medication. Meanwhile, health authorities have urged the public to contact them at their hotlines set up to educate people about the viral infection.

Last week, a four-year-old British girl underwent testing. Last month, a 41-year-old American traveler was the first swine flu suspect in the island. He arrived here from Washington via Frankfurt and had swine flu symptoms. In both cases the patients tested negative.

 Continued:

http://tinyurl.com/pfecr7

Advertisements