April 28, 2009
Updated 2:34 p.m. The Associated Press

NEW YORK – New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said today that two people are hospitalized with suspected swine flu.

City Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden also said today that “many hundreds” of schoolchildren are sick with suspected cases of swine flu.

Bloomberg says the hospitalizations are separate from the outbreak at a private school in Queens.

If they are found to be swine flu they would be the first in the U.S. connected to the outbreak.

The mayor says the hospitalized are a child in the Bronx and an adult in Brooklyn.

The U.S. has more than 60 reported cases of swine flu, mostly in New York City. The sickness has killed dozens in Mexico.

Earlier today, health officials began investigating reports of people with flu symptoms at a special education school in the city.

The public school – a few blocks from a Roman Catholic high school where a swine flu outbreak began last week – remained open as Health Department workers carried in boxes of supplies used for nose and throat tests. They did not respond to journalists’ questions.

“We’re just making sure everyone is OK,” said Wayne Lipman, assistant principal at the school, declining to say more.

Teachers’ union officials arrived soon after the health workers with bags full of what appeared to be face masks.

City officials stressed that there were no confirmed cases of swine flu at the special education school. But people were complaining of flu symptoms, and many students were out sick today.

Tom Ryan’s 15-year-old daughter was there, and he had no plans to pull her out.

“Let’s see what it is first,” said Ryan, a vice president of the Citywide Council on Special Education. “Of course, we’re worried, but there’s no need to panic. [School and health officials] seem to have it in hand.”

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2009/apr/28/0428_city/

Advertisements