Two doses of the swine flu vaccine should be used despite British health officials deciding to give one dose in most cases, according to advice from drug regulators.
By Rebecca Smith, Medical Editor
Published: 3:29PM BST 23 Oct 2009
Pandemrix, the swine flu vaccine made by GlaxoSmithKline, is already being used in Britain with health and social care workers and critically ill patients in hospital having started to receive it this week.
From next week deliveries will be arriving in GP surgeries so they can begin to offer the vaccine to pregnant women and people with long-term conditions.
Government officials have advised that one dose of the vaccine is sufficient in people over the age of 10 and any children under that age who have long-term conditions should receive two doses.
Research trials have suggested that the majority of people have sufficient immunity against swine flu after one dose.
However, the European Medicines Agency’s Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use said the evidence is not strong enough to recommend one dose for general use.
• Teen swine flu victim’s muscles ‘melted’ (Link)
• Health Minister Promises International Cooperation (translated) (Link)
• AL: Nursing students get vaccinated as two more H1N1 deaths reported (Link)
• DE: Delaware death of 15 yr old ruled H1N1-related(Link)
• KY: two more deaths in Kentucky last week, total now 10 (Link)
• MI: First death confirmed in Kalamazoo, Michigan (Link)
• MN: Martin County Officials React To H1N1 Deaths (Link)
• MN: Minnesota Mom Says Swine Flu Led to Son’s Death (Link)
• MO: Health director suspends flu vaccine law (Link)
• NC: Brunswick County confirmed 1st death, new mom (Link)
• OR: 800 turned away from Multnomah County swine flu shot site (Link)
• OR: Josephine County has its first H1N1 death (Link)
• OR: 2 S. Oregon swine flu patients in critical condition (Link)
• OR: Josephine County to declare State of Emergency – H1N1 (Link)
• SC: Joe Wilson’s wife diagnosed with swine flu (Link)
• TX: New Flu Deaths in Dallas & Tarrant (Link)
• TX: Local Health District Offers Drive-Through FluMist Clinic Friday (Link)
• WI: Second death in Winnebago County (Link)
• Swine flu may protect against bird flu (Link)
• Human transmits H1N1 flu to ferret(Link)
• Nearly 5,000 H1N1 Flu Deaths Reported World-Wide (Link)
• Washing hands won’t stop a respiratory virus (Link)
• GSK’s flu vaccine delivers strong response in children with one shot(Link)